Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Season 9: Top 10 Ladies

Now I can see what the judges were saying when they described this as "The Girls' Year," well, sort of. The girls definitely had a better showing tonight than the boys did last night, but I still think the talent pool for this season is much, much lower than in seasons past. Some of them don't deserve to be there of course, but at least some of them DO deserve to be there. That's more than I can say for the guys.

Crystal Bowersox – Long As I Can See the Light – I don’t think I know this song, but I like Crystal’s “church-spin” rendition of it. She sounds really good. The boys can take a lesson from her on how to perform a lower tempo song without getting boring or over doing it. She did great, especially for having been in the hospital the day before.

Haeley Vaughn – The Climb – Does anyone else think she speaks like a 5 year old? Her interview packages always annoy me. I think Haeley’s performance is a serious improvement from last week. She still hit some sour notes. But then again, so does Miley. I think she’s pushing her voice too much again. She needs to exhibit some restraint. That definitely won’t be my favorite performance, and she definitely is one of the weakest singers on the show.

Lacey Brown – Kiss Me – I like that Lacey took Kara’s advice, and sang the exact song she suggested. That way Kara at least couldn't criticize her for her song choice. Lacey sounds a million times better than she did last week. I think she has a pretty voice, and as soon as she can overcome some of those nerves, she’ll be great. Hopefully she’ll be able to do that before she’s eliminated. Honestly, probably anything could have been an improvement over last week. Contrary to what Randy said, I think Lacey changed up the song a little….she didn’t sound like Sixpence at all.

Katie Stevens – Put Your Records On – I get what Simon was saying about her last week with is “pageanty” comment. She likes to scrunch her face up and look at the camera. Sort of like what you would see on that show "Toddlers and Tiaras." She sounds okay singing this song. I don’t really get what the big deal is about her, though. I don’t find anything distinctive about Katie or her singing. It’s something we’ve all seen a million times on this show. She had really cute shoes, though. Bless her heart.

Bonus Question: Which contestant did Kara say could use another year to train?

Didi Benami – Lean On Me – I’m not sure I really liked this arrangement of the song. But there’s no doubt that Didi can sing well. She may need a little work with her movement while she’s on stage. I like Didi, though, and I think she’ll stick around for awhile. I am kind of undecided on this performance. I don’t think the performance was terrible, but I think Didi maybe didn’t do as well as we’ve seen her. The judges gave her more harsh criticism than she deserved, probably.

Michelle Delamor – Arms Wide Open – I never would have expected her to sing a Creed song. I would have to say she made one of the smartest song choices of the evening. I think Michelle has a real chance of making it to the top 12. She may not be the best singer, but she has made good song choices the past two weeks. Her vocal style is pretty conventional…we can hear it on the radio on any Top 40 station, but Michelle took a song that was outside of her genre and reinvented it. Her ending note wasn’t the greatest. But overall, I think she was good.

Lilly Scott – A Change Is Gonna Come – Lilly sounds like a surfer in her interview packages. I don’t think her voice sounds as good this week as she has in other episodes. I’m not sure exactly what it is. I think, like many of her male competitors, she’s trying to do too much. I think she has potential, but she needs to scale it back a little. Or maybe I’m an idiot because the judges seemed to disagree with me.

Katelyn Epperly – The Scientist – Apparently Katelyn is or was a student of Millikin University here in Decatur. I hadn’t heard that before, and I thought it was interesting. I don't know if it necessarily makes me her number one fan, but it's cool to know that a hometown girl is in the competition. Her performance seems a little boring, but she seems polished. I think it’s a lot easier for a singer to have an emotional connection when they’re playing a piano. I’m not sure why it comes across like that. I think Katelyn did pretty well. I like her voice, and I think she’s one of the better singers of the night.

Bonus Question: What mistake did Ellen make in her critique of Katelyn’s performance?

Paige Miles – Walk Away – I think this was a pretty good song choice for Paige. Her voice is a little bit watered down though. I think she needs to put some more punch into her vocals to make a stronger name for herself. She’s a lot better than last week. This was another good performance tonight. Compared to herself, she's a million times improved. However, if you compare her to some of the better vocalists in the competiton, she just doesn't quite have it.

Siobhan Magnus – Think – She’s such a quirky girl, and I can't figure out if it’s genuine or if it’s an act. I think this song would have been better performed on a larger stage, with a bigger audience. But Siobhan held her own throughout the performance. She looked a little stiff, but her voice is incredible. That glory note was amazing. Siobhan definitely won the night!

So, what did you think? Did the girls fare better than the men? Is there a real front-runner yet? Comment below and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. The girls were definitely improved last night. I would say everyone of them was better than last week. Some of them still not American Idol material in my opinion.
    Crystal Bowersox is still my favorite. I think she has more tricks up her sleeve. I would say though, that a few of the girls gave her a run for her money last night.

    ReplyDelete