Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Top 36: Group 2...The Show Must Go On

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm already about sick of American Idol this season. I don't know exactly what it is....but I am continually finding myself annoyed as I watch. Tonight's episode had me bored and antsy. Hopefully it will get better as the season moves along...hopefully.
This new format just isn't working for me. I don't want to have to get to know 36 contestants before I can pick a favorite. I'm frustrated when my favorites don't perform like I'm expecting them to (Stevie Wright and Matt Giraud). And, more than anything, it just takes so dang long to watch two long episodes a week full of commercial breaks and mediocre talent. And those judges?! Oh, the humanity! I have never in my life heard four people use so many words to say absolutely nothing at all. If I hear one more thing about "song choice" I think I'm going to throw my remote control through the screen.

I'm really rooting for my American Idol to pull through....otherwise, I fear this may just be my last season. And that makes me sad.

Okay, now that I have that off my chest, here's what I thought about tonight's show:

Paula is gone. Kara is afraid of looking stupid. Randy is NOT afraid of looking stupid. And Simon occasionally has something intelligent to say.

Jasmine Murray: Love Song - Sara Bareilles. When Jasmine first began singing, I thought she might be a reincarnation of Stevie Wright from last week. She started out way too low for her register and sounded terrible. She sort of got it together (more than Stevie ever did, anyway) later on in the song, but she definitely isn't the caliber of performer American Idol is looking for. Rating: 6

Matt Giraud: Viva La Vida - Coldplay. I was incredibly disappointed by Matt's performance tonight. He was one of my favorites from the earlier rounds and I know he is a very talented musician. Here's what I think the problem is: Matt's voice is good, but it's not necessarily technically precise. He's more of a gritty blues singer, and he compensates for the vocals with the use of his piano. I don't think he's very comfortable singing without a piano, and it showed tonight. Oh man, I really hope this guy gets a wild card. Rating: 6

Jeanine Vailes: This Love - Maroon 5. Oh my. There's a reason why Jeanine was never showcased in the audition or Hollywood rounds...the judges knew she would never make it. She was nothing more than Top 36 filler. Sorry to say that, but it's obvious. Jeanine was singing in a different key than the band playing behind her. And that "diva hand"? I almost thought she was trying to generate some momentum so she could fly away. Rating: 5

Nick Mitchell: And I Am Telling You - Dreamgirls. What a joke (and no, that's not a compliment)! For anyone else, performing a song you had already done during Hollywood week would receive stern chastisement from the judges. But the judges, in their fogged oblivion, continue to throw compliments to Nick/Norman about what an amazing entertainer he is. Well, I'm sorry, but I felt like I was watching a rerun. We have seen Nick do that same exact bit before. It wasn't that funny then, and it definitely wasn't funny now. Nick's performance was nothing more than 3 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. He doesn't even deserve a rating from me.

I can understand what Nick is doing. American Idol is the biggest TV show in the nation...and if you wanted to get recognized for your talent (whatever that talent is), of course the best venue to be recognized would be on national television, on the show with the most viewers. I get that.

What I don't understand, however, is why American Idol is trying to hold onto Nick. Is this season's talent pool really that low, that they have to rely on someone who isn't even a singer? On any previous season, someone like Nick would have been showcased in an audition episode and then sent on his merry way...I'm sure this is what Nick was expecting. But why is he still on the show, not singing well, and--honestly--not really being that funny? It's a mystery to me.

Allison Iraheta: Alone - Heart. Well, the biggest surprise of the night for me was Allison. I remember seeing her audition and thinking that he really wasn't that good. But her voice tonight sounded so rich and full. She was without a doubt in the top 2 performances of the evening. I just hope she made a name for herself tonight so she can continue on. Rating: 9

Kris allen: Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson. Kris should have chosen a song that would have shown off his range better. Michael Jackson is known as an entertainer, but nobody ever said his singing was great. I'm continually baffled at why people want to sing his songs on this show. Kris's performance fell flat, and I don't think we'll see him again, unless miraculously, the judges decide to bring him back for the wild card show. Rating: 6

Megan Corkrey: Put Your Records On - Corrine Bailey Rae. Megan is (yes, that's present tense) my favorite person in the competition this season. I love her unique voice and her free spirited style. I was concerned about how Megan's voice would sound when she started to sing more contemporary songs. I think she made a great choice for tonight's show. She was able to make the song her own and make a memorable performance. Was it perfectly on pitch? No. There were some bad notes in there, and her dancing was a little strange...but I just can't help pulling for this girl. I think she could really be successful. Rating: 8

Matt Breitzke: If You Could Only See - Tonic. Matt sounded alright...but he fell into doing an impression of the original song with his performance...right down to the strange pronunciation of the word "could" (it is NOT "kuud"). I like that song, but that always bothered me...call me picky. Rating: 7 Another thing I noticed about Matt....his dancing is like watching slow motion. That made me laugh.

Jesse Langseth: Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes. Jesse had some parts of her song that were really good and other parts that were really bad. I guess that makes her a neutral in my book. I think Jesse took the easy way out this week. She should have chosen a current song and made it her own, but instead, she chose an old favorite. Simon was right: she is forgettable. Rating: 7

Kai Kalama: What Becomes of the Broken Hearted - Jimmy Ruffin. Oh boy. Kai's performance had me stifling the laughter (the only reason I was stifling was because I was watching with someone who liked him). From his "sexy" faces to his cheesy dancing to his mentions of his ailing mother...it was just all over the top. Kai was trying way too hard tonight. His voice is nice to listen to, but he was born about 50 years too late. And his hair looks like Sideshow Bob. Rating: 6

Mishavonna Henson: Drops of Jupiter - Train. Mishavonna sounded pretty good with her song. I was surprised by her, too, because I didn't like the little bit I heard during Hollywood Week. I can't figure out why the younger ones on the show tonight are the most seasoned performers...it doesn't make much sense to me. I was impressed by Mishavonna...although, her ending note sucked. Rating: 7

Adam Lambert: Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones. I think Adam is on a different caliber than most of the other contestants this season. It's almost as if he's TOO good. I prefer to see contestants who are vulnerable and imperfect....and then they progress throughout the season, so that they're ready to record by the time they get to the finals. I think in that sense, Adam isn't very relatable. His voice is unbelievable, though, it reminds me of Freddie Mercury from Queen (my favorite!). Rating: 9

My predictions for this week: Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta, and (I'm going out on a limb here) Megan Corkrey


Currently Listening to: The Show Must Go On by Queen



No comments:

Post a Comment