Thursday, March 5, 2009

Season 8: Your Top 12? Don't Stop Me Now

Ladies and Gentleman, allow me to introduce you to your American Idol Class of Season 8! Here are the Top 12, in no particular order. Actually, had it not been for the Internet, I never would have known that there were 13 contestants who were chosen to go through. The DVR cut off with like 5 minutes left. Darn you American Idol for going over your allotted time! So, without further ado, here are your Baker's Dozen:

Matt Giraud - This Michigan Dueling Piano player impressed with his initial audition, and in Hollywood week, but faltered when he attempted a Coldplay song. To all the future American Idol contestants: Don't sing Coldplay. Coldplay can't even sing Coldplay right....did anyone see their horrendous performance at the Grammys? But Matt won America (and the judges) back with his smooth rendition of The Jackson 5's "Who's Loving You"...Matt has a unique style and when he's on his game, he captivates. Part of me wonders, though, if Matt is more of a piano player than a singer. Time will tell. One thing's for sure: Matt will do better when he is allowed to accompany himself on the piano. Can't wait to see what he brings next.


Megan Corkrey - Most people know her as "tattoo girl"...however, I like to identify her as, "the one who dances like Elaine." Somebody give that girl some choreography. Oh boy, does she need help! Megan impressed me with her first audition, and I thought her first round performance of "Put Your Records On" was unique and refreshing. Based on her wild card performance, though, Megan should not have made it through. It was not a good vocal. But, even though I'm rethinking this decision, I chose Megan as the winner a long time ago, so I will stick with her for a few more weeks. If Megan can get the right songs to sing, I have the feeling she'll do great, but I just can't envision what she'll do during country music week. Bonus Question: What artist originally recorded the song Megan sang during the Wild Card show?


Anoop Desai - Noop Dog has been lovable and charismatic since he first walked into the audition room and met the judges. He's different...and he's got a nice little "Geek Chic" thing going on. But my relationship with Anoop has been a turbulent one. I liked his audition and Hollywood Week performances, but his round one choice of that Monica song (who has heard Monica's name since 1998?) left a bad taste in my mouth. I think everyone knew that Anoop would be a shoo-in for the Top 12, and since, in AI Producer's eyes, America made the wrong choice, of course he would be brought back for a shot at the Wild Card. Anoop's choice to sing "My Prerogative" was stale. We had heard it before. And, honestly, the singing wasn't that good tonight. Anoop made it through on charm, and it really wasn't fair treatment by the judges, but I won't hold that against him. I still have love for the Noop Dog (mostly just because I like calling him that).


Jasmine Murray - Jasmine is pretty and poised. Those are the good things. Now, onto her voice: Jasmine has continually proven that her vocal ability is lacking. Jasmine's voice is nasally, whiny, and off pitch. I don't think she deserved a spot in the Top 12 because I've never enjoyed one of her performances...ever. If any of my readers think Jasmine was a good choice, please comment and tell me why! I just don't get it.


Lil Rounds - I have to say, I like what Lil is bringing. I have heard some complaints that she is similar to previous contestants like Fantasia Barrino and Jennifer Hudson, but I think there's something different about Lil. She's fresh and current. She's not a power ballad kind of girl. Lil is spunky and energetic and filled with magnetism. I think her spot in the Top 12 was predestined by Idol producers, but I also think it was well-deserved. Lil earned her keep with that Mary J. Blige song, and I think she'll be around for a long time. Interestingly, though, I don't see her winning. I think Lil will be this season's shocking early exit (like Michael Johns from Season 7).


Scott MacIntyre - Here is where America rises and collectively begins to beat me up. I don't think Scott belongs on American Idol. His voice is not bad, but it's not good ENOUGH. And, almost more importantly, his style is too old for the show. Scott should have been born 30 years earlier because he would have fit in great when Elton John and Billy Joel were in their proverbial heydays. Scott's performance of a song I had never heard before about a mandolin was yawn-instigating and his vocals were all over the place. Scott's story is incredibly inspirational. Who doesn't have their heart warmed by watching someone overcome a lifetime of obstacles to rise to the top? But I think the patronizing way in which the judges are handling Scott is offensive and unfair. If anyone else had chosen to sing a song like that, they would have been criticized for their song choice. I don't think Scott really deserved to be in the Top 12 based on the "mandolin" performance. And I don't want to watch an entire season of the judges sugar coating the things they say to him. I don't think Scott would want special treatment from them, either.


Jorge Nunez - I'm impressed with Jorge's voice, and his personality is endearing. He's another one who may be a little irrelevant for American audiences in 2009, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think maybe after a few more weeks, he will evolve out of the Marc Anthony/Jon Secada genre, and into something more current. I have to say, I really like Jorge. I hope he makes it far on the show.


Adam Lambert - Adam lays it all out on the table. From his androgynous style, to his over-the-top performances, Adam lets everyone know who he is and what can do. The judges have been on people's cases for over-singing songs this season, but they haven't really complained to Adam much. Even his screechy and dramatic performance of "Satisfaction" was adored and praised. I don't know...for some reason the over-the-top stuff works for Adam. Maybe it's because he's confident. With someone like Von Smith, you get the feeling that he's over-singing to compensate for a lack of confidence...like he's trying too hard. But with Adam, he over-sings simply because that's who he is...and he's good at it. I may be eating my words in a few weeks, when we've listened to three separate screaming renditions of classic rock songs. But for now, I'm on Team Adam.


Kris Allen - I really don't have much to say about Kris because I can't remember his voice or even his face. I remember that he sang Man in the Mirror and it was okay. If Jasmine isn't the first casualty of the Top 13, I think it will definitely be Kris.


Allison Iraheta - I was generally unimpressed with Allison until she sang Heart's "Alone". She really "smashed it out of the box" (as Randy would say) with that performance. Her voice is rich and warm and powerful. The judges were right to compare her to Kelly Clarkson. That's exactly who her voice reminds me of...maybe a little Pink, too. I am anticipating what Allison will bring next time. I think her age may be her Achilles heel, though, because the young contestants seem to struggle as the competition wears on.


Michael Sarver - Unfortunately, I don't remember much about Michael, either. He works on an oil rig. And he seems like a pleasant person. I can't remember his voice, though, or what song he sang. I don't think Michael has much of a chance to make it very far on the show. But time will tell.


Danny Gokey - It's blatantly obvious that Danny is Idol's "chosen one" this season (much like David Archuleta from last season). Danny has been featured and subsequently buzzed about more than anyone else on the show. Personally, he's not my favorite (the Chosen One never is). I think his voice is good, but not great. I think his musical style is decent, but it's been done before. I think his story is touching, but flirting with exploitation. But America (and the judges) seem to love this guy. I'm not ready to write him off completely, but I'm also not embracing him just yet. We're not BFF's.


Alexis Grace - I hate her pink hair...but that girl can SING! I honestly liked the dichotomy of a soulful voice coming from a cute, plain Jane, girl next door. I think the whole "dirty it up" thing was a mistake. Alexis should have stayed true to who she was, but instead, she came out onstage wearing black lingerie. But that voice? Alexis has consistently blown me away with her vocal prowess. There's not a doubt in my mind that Alexis will breeze through to at least the Top 4.


Those who didn't make it:

I still don't think it's fair that Felicia was cut, and Ju'Not Joyer for that matter. I can only hope that these two were recognized by some important people, and that they will get the chance they deserved.


Speaking of deserved chances...Ricky Braddy out sang three of the four Wild Card picks tonight. Plus he's from Nashville, so he's already cool. It's a shame that he wasn't showcased more during the earlier episodes. Maybe then he would have had some popularity with the fans, and would have made it through the first time he sang. It's just not fair.


Also not making it through, every one's favorite girl-on-the-edge-of-clinically-insane, Tatiana Nicole Del Toro (it shames me to share a name with her). I could not even look at the screen while this train wreck was happening tonight with her. It's just too much. The thing is, I think Tatiana knows exactly what she's doing. She will forever be remembered in the annals of American Idol history as one of the most identifiable, freak show contestants. And I'm sure she'll get a TV deal or a book deal or something out of all of this. Bonus Question: What did Paula chide Tatiana for during her final judgment on the show? (hint: it was very uncharacteristic of Paula to say this...and very smart and funny.)


So, there are your Top 12 plus one for Season 8...Here we go! Please send me an email with your answers to the bonus questions, along with your pick for overall winner (You may select a different person than you chose from the Top 36, or you can stay with the same one).


Currently Listening to: Don't Stop Me Now by Queen (because it's been a Queen kind of a day)


No comments:

Post a Comment