Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Season 8: "Top Downloads" week...Ain't No Sunshine

Okay, so every season American Idol fans complain that the show’s themes inhibit the contestants from really demonstrating that they can be “current”…that is always a buzz word. And then, when they do a show with a “current” theme, the contestants get slammed with accusations of being “soundalike”, “copy cat” or “karaoke”. I contend that the theme weeks are better for American Idol because they allow the contestants (if they’re good enough) to pick an old song and make it new. Artists don’t want to be compared to other artists. I’m sure they cringe every time someone says they’re like Justin Timberlake or Mary J. Blige. The world doesn’t need another Justin Timberlake…one is plenty (trust me). So, American Idol, let’s bring on some more theme weeks. How about another disco week? Or a Monster Ballad week? Or Big Band? We’ll have plenty of time to hear the Idols sing something “current” when they get their record deals.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am having a hard time with American Idol lately. I feel like this season is just a dud, and, really inconsequential….kind of like the season that Taylor Hicks won. Who remembers that? Here’s to hoping we don’t get another Taylor Hicks this season…and here’s to hoping that a new front runner will emerge. But for now, I can’t say that there’s anyone I’m really 100% rooting for. There’s nobody that I tune in every week to see. I’m watching more out of obligation than a real desire to watch the show. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe it’s just me because I’m coming off of the adrenaline rush that was last season for me. But I just feel like this season is full of mediocre contestants with little to no personality.

Anoop “Caught Up” – It’s strange for me, and I’m not sure why it works, but this is definitely Anoop’s wheelhouse. He seems comfortable with this sort of pop/r&b/hip hop style. This song doesn’t really display incredibly difficult vocals, but Anoop sounded phenomenal compared to those atrocious background singers. Why haven’t they gotten new back-up singers yet? They were awful last year, too. Anoop sounded a little whiny in parts, but then again, so does Usher when he sings the song. Randy…Usher is more of a dancer’s singer? Is that a slam to Usher? Or, what exactly is a dancer’s singer? Or is it dancer/singer? I feel for Anoop because the judges were all over the place with him tonight…and not a single one of them made sense. It’s just a guy trying to be current…when all that’s on the charts is whiny r&b singers, what do you expect someone to do, unless they’re going to go the faux rock Hinder/Nickelback route? Rating: 7

Megan “Turn Your Life Down Low” – First of all, why was Megan wearing Farmer John overalls when she went to Ryan Seacrest’s radio show? I like that Megan knows who she is as an artist, but I don’t think her talent is developed enough. Maybe she needs to go back to singing in jazz clubs for a couple more years or something, but she just isn’t hitting the notes she’s reaching for. That run she did in the middle was pretty, though. This week was better than last week for sure, but Megan just isn’t up to par with some of the rest of the competition. Megan got a little snarky at the end there…part of me wonders if she’s over the whole Idol thing…maybe she realizes she’s this season’s Kristy Lee Cook, and she’s embracing that…Rating: 6

I sort of secretly enjoyed Kara being heckled by fans, though….does that make me a bad person?
Danny Gokey “What Hurts the Most” – Man, I hate Rascal Flatts worse than I hate Hokey Gokey. Their face was plastered across a city bus in Nashville that drove the downtown route, and it passed by me at least once a day when I worked down there. It was like they were glaring at me and mocking me. And if Danny is complaining about not being able to reach those nasally high notes that the lead singer of Rascal Flatts sings, then he has more problems than I ever thought. It seemed like the vocals were very rushed to me, but I have to admit, I’d rather listen to Danny’s version of this song than the original (that may not be saying much, but from me, considering that this is Danny, that’s actually saying something). I think Danny’s main problem is that he’s a little over zealous. He needs to funnel his energy in a different way. It comes across as a little desperate sometimes…sorry, Amanda….and Scott…and Sharon…and whomever else is a Hokey Gokey fan. I’m not sure if it was Danny’s best performance of the season, like Simon said, and I’m not sure if he “brought it crazy with the vocals”, or that he should “keep that mic stand a-rockin’” as Randy exclaimed…I think Danny’s vocals were decent though. Rating: 7

Allison “Don’t Speak” – Just when we thought Allison couldn’t get any better…she pulled out the guitar! I’m behind Allison now….She looked like a disheveled prom queen, but her rendition was beautiful, understated, and emotional. I’m glad she sang this song because I can’t stand Gwen Stefani’s voice either…she sounds like a baby or Shirley Temple or something….but now I can download Allison’s version because I actually do like the song. In many ways, Allison is sort of this season’s David C. Cook. And I’m not just saying that because I want her to win. She’s understated and subtle…but she comes out and performs every week…and that she –wait a minute, did Paula just say, “I’m glad you brought your axe out with you”?—sorry…Allison is just a natural talent, and I think she’s going to cruise her way right on through to the finals and nobody will know she’s there until the end….because, believe it or not, she is not one of the chosen ones this season. Rating: 9

Scott “Just the Way You Are” – Okay, so we’ve heard Scott sing Billy Joel on a couple of occasions before, and I want to know when this song was EVER a most popular download on iTunes! Somebody show me the records. Oh man, Scott. You seem like a really genuine, and earnest guy, but the voice just isn’t nice to listen to. His haircut looked more like Billy Idol than Billy Joel. Maybe this is something I need to get over because of Scott’s handicap, or maybe it’s something that he needs to incorporate more of into his songs, but I just feel like he never connects emotionally with the songs he chooses. I thought his vocals were just as whiny and flat as ever. Don’t know what the judges were listening to before they gave their critique. Rating: 6
Bonus Question: Why did Simon want to rewind the tape?

Matt “You Found Me” – Nice haircut, Matt! Man, is it just me, or does it seem like Matt is really devoid of personality? He seems like he takes everything so seriously…I just want to see him laugh and smile. This performance wasn’t good. He shouldn’t have been standing with a keyboard in the middle of the audience. He did too much to the song to change it. I know there is a big demand for the contestants to make the song their own…but I feel like Matt drifted too far. Matt doesn’t do the big glory notes incredibly well…If he had done more of an intimate bluesy performance, I would have been much happier. Rating: 6

Lilopatra “I Surrender” – Oh, she hasn’t started singing yet, and I’m already worried for her. If the judges are badgering you about song choice, why would you ever choose to sing a Celine Dion song? I think Lil thinks she’s better than she really is. Lil is only in her twenties, but she seems like she’s a 40 year old woman who is caught up singing these big, bellowing songs. Why couldn’t she have used this week to prove she was “current”. Lil should have gone with some Beyonce or even taken a male song and changed the arrangement. Lil has ruined her turn on American Idol….actually, one could say she has “surrendered” it. Rating: 6—for me, for you.

I love how Kara laughs at Ryan Seacrest like he is freaking Carol Burnett or something...

Adam “Play that Funky Music” – I rolled my eyes when I heard this song choice…and I didn’t stop rolling them throughout the whole performance. When was this song ever a popular download on iTunes? Is he trying to look like the guy from Twilight with his high hair? I chastised Brooke White for her stage twirl last season…ditto for Adam. I just don’t think the song ever went anywhere. There was no build up, no climax…it was just crazy screeching and “sensual” dance moves for a minute and a half. Too much of something is never good. And then Adam looked like he was just really pleased with what he had just delivered. Uck. He just makes me shudder. Rating: 6

Ooo Mandisa looks good. I’ve heard that she lost 100 lbs., and she has an album that just dropped. Way to go, Mandisa.

Kris “Ain’t No Sunshine” – I love Kris’s interpretation of this song. His vocals are always spot-on. And, props to him for pulling out his keyboard. Who knew he had another trick up his sleeve? Kris had the performance that Matt should have—or could have—had this week. It’s difficult to take someone seriously when he’s singing the blues but looks so boyishly unassuming…like nothing bad has ever happened in his life. That’s not his fault, though. Rating: 9
Bonus Question: What were Kara’s 3 words for Kris in her feeble attempt to redeem herself from last week’s gaffe?

Man, I hope something exciting happens soon with American Idol this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment