Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Season 8: Next Week's Theme Plus an End of the Week Chance for Some More Points!

Hey everyone,
How about that eliminaton tonight? Megan was in rare form. I think she started out wanting to be tough and laugh at herself along with America, but then she realized that she actually was a little sad to be going, and then she had an emotional meltdown on the stage. I felt for her.

According to Paula*, next week's theme is going to be "Songs from the Year You Were Born"....I always enjoy that week. It offers up a fresh variety of 80s tunes, and allows the contestants an opportunity to pick good old songs within their own personal tastes (or, in Adam's case, lack of taste). You may select 10 songs for each contestant. If you want an easy way to find songs for each contesant, Wikipedia is a great resource. Just type "1985 in music" in the search bar on the home page. Scroll down and you'll see a long list of #1 hits from that year, along with other notable happenings in music, Top 40 singles (in the US and the UK), and a list of albums and bands that were big that year. Be sure to get your song selections in to me on or before Monday. Here is a list of everyone's birthdays:

Adam Lambert - January 29, 1982
Allison Iraheta - April 27, 1992
Anoop Desai - December 20, 1986
Danny Gokey - April 24, 1980
Kris Allen - June 21, 1985
Lil Rounds - November 14, 1984
Matt Giraud - May 11, 1985
Scott MacIntyre - June 22, 1985

*I cannot guarantee Paula's claims as to the theme for next week. She was slightly right for this week's theme (she said the theme would be #1 downloads, when it was actually "Top downloads"...and not even really "top" downloads...more or less anything that can be found and purchased on iTunes). Paula could be slightly right again...maybe the real theme is "Songs from the year after you were born".....who knows?

You know in high school you were graded for participation points....I thought it might be interesting to get a little conversation happening. Please post your answers to these bonus questions below by clicking the button that says "comments" at the bottom of this blog entry. If you need help, contact me, and I will walk you through it.

Here's an opportunity for some extra points:
I was having a conversation with a fellow contestant of yours today and we were both wondering how everyone thinks this season of Idol compares with past seasons? Is this the best season yet? Do you think it's about the same? Or is this season lacking something? Give me your answer and why you feel this way for an extra 10 bonus points!

Also, 5 bonus points if you tell me who you think DESERVES to win the whole thing...not who you think WILL win, not who is the "package artist" or the "most commercial", but who you think is actually the most talented musician on the show right now. I think I've just changed my pick again. And I'm curious what everyone else is thinking. Tell me who deserves it and why they deserve it.

Also, 3 bonus points for telling me who you can't stand this season, if anyone...Who rattles your cage? Who is overrated? Who doesn't deserve to be in the competition? Again, who you can't stand, and why you can't stand them.

Maybe she didn't have the best dance moves, but we won't soon forget her!

7 comments:

  1. This is only my 3rd Season of AI, so I don't know if I'm qualified to answer the first question. I think this season is really good, but I enjoyed last season more.

    Last year, I really felt like David Cook was a superstar, but I just don't have that feeling with any of the contestants this year. I do like this season better than my first AI season (Jordin Sparks) and I still find it really entertaining, but I wish I could find someone that I could identify with this year.

    This question is kind of tricky, as my answer to this has changed over the last few weeks. Honestly, I think Kris Allen is probably the most talented. I NEVER would have said that even three weeks ago, but he is a great singer, he just lacks the personality that I think it will take to win it.

    As in years past, there is no Melinda Dolittle or Sanjaya that really bothers me that much this year. Nathaniel or Tatiana (sp?) would have driven me crazy, but they, mercifully, didn't make it to the top 12. I guess Megan would have been the closest thing to driving me crazy this current season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My least favorite contestant of the season was Tatiana Del Torro. What a drama queen!!! She didn't care about being famous for her ability to sing, she just wanted her 15 minutes of fame. She didn't care how she got remembered, she just wanted to be famous. If it has to be someone in the top ten, I didn't really find any of them intolerable. I would say Megan was the most annoying, she was trying way too hard to be cutsie. I don't understand that because she is already beautiful. If she felt she was becoming the joke of the show she could have turned it around just by not dancing like a chicken and giving a really, really, good performance.
    The talent on the show this year is still very good. I think the judges and the mentors could be much better. Randy with his boo every time someone mentions Simon's name, that got really old a long time ago. Kara with her you could sing the alaphabet and I have 6 words for you. Paula always, hopped up on something, and the clothes she wears! Simon and Paula always playing with each other. I would think it would be very distracting to the person performing to see the two of them down there talking, laughing, coloring on each other during a performance. The mentors tell everyone their wonderful, amazing talent, then the contestant bombs. Makes me wonder if the mentors are really all that talented themselves, or their just looking for some air time and don't really care how the contestants do.
    I think that Adam is the most talented contestant AI has to offer this season, although I do like Kris Allen more and more all the time. I had high hopes for Lil but she has not lived up to my expectations.

    April 2, 2009 8:29 AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. The show last night:

    HIgh point...when the contestants were doing impersonations of each other. Loved it.

    3 low points

    Lady Gaga -- an assault on the eyes and ears

    Megan-- flapping her arms like wings when she was sent to the bottom three

    Simon-- having his ego bruised(Megan said I don't care about Simon) and telling Megan there was no chance for a save. We all knew there was no chance anyway...why not just let her sing and then say You're going home.

    The show is lacking something this year, I think there is no real connection with the contestants. That's why I liked the impersonations last night. It showed a little bit of them just being themselves. (although they were being someone else..wow, that's confusing) It seems like the judges are playing some kind of game with the contestants and sucking all the personality out of some. Lil was bubbly and joyful at the beginning of the season and now seems tortured and confused. One week they will tell them to change something and after they accomdate their wishes they tell them to be true to theirself.

    Of all the contestants, I think Kris has proven to be the most talented. HE has gotten better and better every week and can also play multiple instruments. His last performance was awesome. I think he deserves to win the whole thing.

    Adam irritates me. It's almost like he is playing some theatrical game and coming out as a different person every week. He is a good singer but most of his songs include screaming the high notes at the top of his lungs. You can only take so much of that. After the whole Ring of Fire fiasco, he has become a bit frightening to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this season. I think it is 10 times better than last season. I don't know why I like this one so much but I do.

    The one who annoys me the most, now that Megan is gone, is Adam. I like Adam. I think he has worked very hard for his talent, but I wish he wouldn't change who he is each week. I don't see him doing every day music with a music video and everything. Of course if Lady GaGa can do it, who knows.

    My favorite and who I think should win is (think i'm a loser all you want) Danny Gokey. I think he has a natural, cool, smooth, yet raspy voice. I think he has a good personality and a little too much energy, but at least he isn't trying to be a bird like Megan. I think Adam will win but either way I'll be Jammin' to Danny's C.D. one day.

    Like my little 5 year old cousin (Danny) says: Danny's my boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the two past season's that I have watched American Idol, a star has emerged from the ranks. Usually at this point in the competition, someone pulls away from the pack and establishes their dominance. This year, however, there has been no such star. While Danny has tugged on our heartstrings with his emotional and tragic love story and wowed us with his dynamic voice (quit rolling your eyes Nicole!) he seems to be at a standstill with his ability to be original. Adam was amazing when he first started whaling, but it has turned into screeching. I am a huge Steven Tyler fan, and there is a huge difference between his screeching and Adam's. The only person that has been consistently original without making my ears bleed is Kris Allen. He has a great voice, and by the by Nicole....Elvis did quirky things with his mouth when he sang. But, who likes him???

    I am sooooo thankful that Megan Joy/Corkery is gone. She was very pretty, but as strange and annoying as some previous contestants. (Tatianna, Sanjaya, Nathaniel) I think I know why she's going through a divorce. Oh, that was mean. I am a jerk!! Anyway, with Megan gone, I can handle the rest. I still wish Anoop would trim up the brows. More like take hedge trimmers to those suckers!

    I am so thankful that you are doing this blog. It makes an already enjoyable show so much more funner! I just wish that SOME people would do their OWN homework and learn how to use their computer. and I wish SOME OTHER people wouldn't cheat!! But, I do appreciate all of your hard work, Macole. I love you! (Do I get extra points for that?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this season is missing something...what exactly I'm not sure? It seems to lack the luster of past seasons. In my opinion, the judges have already pre-determined a winner (or at least top 3) and we're all just waiting until then to see a "real" competition. Also, if I see Allison in the bottom 3 again...I just might stop watching! ;-)

    ReplyDelete