Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Season 8: Rat Pack Week...

Well, does everyone have their pocket squares and fedoras in place? I've been so looking forward to Rat Pack week. I always love those old standards. Hopefully we'll see some sharp outfits and hear some smooth vocals tonight. I'm living blogging it tonight again, by the way. Sorry if we're a little scattered...

One Fedora, 3 nice suits, 1 cute dress, and some kind of glow in the dark ensemble from Mr. Lambert...just another day on Season 8 of American Idol.

I'm still waiting for my phone call requesting a guest appearance on American Idol. Who asked Jamie Foxx to mentor? First of all, he can't sing without the help of a computer, he's obnoxious...and he's been on the music scene for approximately 3 years. American Idol, at least I've been blogging about music for longer than 3 years! L to the A to the M to the E! I am more angry about Jamie Foxx's appearance than I was about Quentin Tarantino, I think. Was Michael Buble busy? He made a drunken Idol appearance a couple seasons ago....How about Rod Stewart, like Matt said? Or even that David Foster guy they always used to have on the show. Anyone but Jamie Foxx....seriously.


Really? This guy is the mentor? Really?

Bonus Question: How does Jamie Foxx tie in to the Rat Pack...at all? I'm not sure if there is a real answer to this question, but if anyone can find it, I'll give them bonus points!

Kris Allen - The Way You Look Tonight. Kris, do NOT take Jamie Foxx on his offer to make a record together...he will only pull you down! This is one of my favorite songs. It's an interesting juxtaposition to hear this song, which is usually sung with a growly, debonaire voice, sung with Kris's tender and unassuming vocal quality. A lot of people will probably say this performance was a little boring, and maybe it didn't have a lot of flash. But I think Kris's voice is one of the only ones in the competition that can carry him all the way through a performance without having to rely on dancing around or shocking people. I love Kris! Rating: 9
Allison Iraheta - Someone to Watch Over Me. I think Allison looks beautiful tonight. Her dress is gorgeous and her hair is so sleek. She looks all grown up...I don't know if that will help her get the votes she deserves, but she's sure trying. I can't figure out what America wants from her. I think maybe some folks are put off because she looks and sounds so much older than she really is. Maybe next week (if she's still here) she should take the stage in pig tails and a Hello Kitty T-shirt. Hey, I can understand Allison's lyrics tonight! Maybe that's her problem..she should just sing slower songs. Allison's voice suits this style just as much as it does her typical rock choices. I think this performance was surprising and beautiful. Rating: 8

Can someone please drop kick Randy out of the theater? I cringe at the very first utterance from his mouth, which is usually a "Yo", followed by another "Yo" and then another one.

Matt Giraud - My Funny Valentine. I feel like m0re than anyone else this week, this is Matt's chance to shine or fall on his face. I REALLY wish he would have played the piano for this song. Why didn't he? Oh, he must be planning on doing the get up from the stool mid-song thing. His voice sounds nice. Maybe he should have chosen a song that would have shown off more personality and swagger...I don't know. This sounds pretty good...all i can think of, though, is Melinda Doolittle's incredible Season 6 performance of this song. He's not doing his typical over the top falsetto thing this week which is nice. Subtlety is a trick he hasn't necessarily mastered, but he's doing a good job of reining it in this week. That was a very nice performance. I think that was one of his best vocals...but it was kind of a boring song choice. Rating: 8

Danny Goofy - Come Rain, or Come Shine. I LOVE coming up with new names for this guy each week. In fact, it's the ONLY thing about him that I look forward to (that's for you, Amanda). Oh, Danny's not going to change up his song? There's a SHOCKER! Has he changed up ANY of his songs this ENTIRE season? That would be a big, fat, resounding NO. I use A LOT of CAPS when I'm talking about Danny. Actually, now that he's singing, I will say this is one of Danny's better perfrmances. It's still incredibly cheesy. Forget what I said earlier...he just started screaming at me again. The reserved part was good...the screaming part was well, screamy. Rating: 7 And, that is SUPER annoying to scream out THANK YOU over the crowd's applause. And, in case anyone was wondering, there were 11 hand gestures caught by the camera during Danny's performance. However, due to the fact that he clung to the mic stand Daughtry style through the big part of his performance, Danny did not hit himself in the chest one single time this week. So...there's something positive (again, that's for you, Amanda).

Adam Lambert - Feeling Good. Everybody needs to get their Blue Blockers in order to be able to view Adam's performance...that suit is ridiculously bright! I don't think Adam will be "knocking my head off" like Jamie Foxx said. I would have preferred for the contestants to stick to the original arrangements of these standards...that's why they're called standards. But I'll give Adam the benefit of the doubt and let him do his thing. I think he said, "I'm feelin' could" instead of "good", but I could be wrong. I honestly don't think Adam did well with this song. The vocal styling didn't seem to fit with the song. And he botched that high note at the end. Probably one of my least favorite Lambert performances along with Ring of Fire, and definitely the weakest performance of the night, but nobody else in America will agree with me. Rating: 6

Currently Listening To: Come by Me by Harry Connick, Jr.


No comments:

Post a Comment