Monday, May 4, 2009

Fantasy Idol...A Chance for More Points

What if you were a contestant on American Idol Season 8? What songs would you choose each week? How would the judges rate your performances? Well, that's what this week's "extra credit" activity is: Pretend you are a contestant on American Idol's Season 8, and choose your song selections for each week (along with an explanation as to why you chose each song). Now, there are a couple of stipulations for the game:

1. Since this........ is AmERican Idol (you should read that in the voice of Ryan Seacrest), you cannot choose the same songs as any of your fellow contestants (including me). The American Idol producers would not allow the same song to be performed twice on the same episode...that would make for bad TV. So, you'll have an easier time picking songs if you get your answers in sooner.

2. You also may not choose any of the songs the "real" contestants have chosen for each episode. That would make this game too easy.

3. So, please select one song for the first eleven weeks in the competition (audition round through Top 3). For the finale (Top 2 Week), you will be performing 3 songs from the Nokia Theater stage....you must select 3 songs for the finale. You must make selections for every week...and explain why you chose that song. This activity is worth an extra 50 points!

Here are my picks:
Audition - Foolish Games by Jewel. I think this is just a pretty song that would sound good a capella for the auditions...plus, I don't know that I've ever heard someone sing it as an audition, so it would be original.

Top 36 - The Longest Time by Billy Joel. I think it would give me a dramatic edge to sing this song a capella from the stage...just the voices of me and my background singers, who would hopefully be having an "on" week.

Michael Jackson Week - Will You Be There. This is not a quintessential Michael Jackson song, but every time I hear it it brings back a rush of memories. This song is from the Free Willy soundtrack, and it's actually a really pretty song. I would employ a gospel choir to back me up on this performance. And I know Free Willy is a cheesy movie, but you have to admit that when that boy stood on the jetty with his arms in the air as the giant orca jumped over him and soaked him with water...you know at least a couple tears came down.

Grand Ole Opry Week - Crazy Dreams by Carrie Underwood. I just love the sound of this song and the content about playing air guitar, singing into a hairbrush, and being a dark horse is just too good to pass up. AND....since this is fantasy Idol, I would learn to play the banjo just for this performance.

Motown Week - If I Were Your Woman by Gladys Knight. I just think this is a powerful and soulful song...but it's sung from a place of desperation which would allow for some good emoting.

Top Downloads Week - Mercy by Duffy. I love this song and it's sassy and upbeat. And it's a Top Download.

Songs from the Year You Were Born - Hurt So Good by John Mellencamp. This song gets stuck in my head every time I hear it....hopefully that would help the viewers to remember my performance. The song has a little edge to it, but it's a crowd favorite that everyone loves to sing along to.

Idol @ the Movies Week - Kiss from a Rose by Seal. I love the dark mood that this song sets and I would love to do a cool interpretation of it. First, I have to figure out what in the heck the lyrics mean.

Disco Week - Young Hearts Run Free by Candi Stanton. I first heard this song in the Romeo + Juliet movie my freshman year of high school. I love it! It's another one that gets stuck in your head and just won't let go. I think that would be advantageous in this competition.

Rat Pack Standards Week - The Best is Yet to Come. Man, I love this song. I think it would maybe be a good omen that would send some votes my way. And I think it would be vocally challenging and would show my amazing precision when it comes to hitting all those notes (remember: "fantasy" idol).

Rock Week - Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin. This is probably one of the greatest rock songs of all time. And the real reason I want to sing it is because I want to kick the microphone stand down in the middle of my performance...that would be appropriate for this song.

Top 3 - Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack. I was born about 20 years too late because most of my favorite music is older stuff. I love this song. It was actually written based off of someone's reaction to hearing Don McClean perform American Pie. And I love that it's a song about music...that's a whole endless conundrum that gets all tangled up in my brain.

Top 2 - Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy by Queen. Queen is my favorite band ever, and this is one of my favorite songs ever...and it would allow for some sauntering and sass (Adam Lambert style). Somethin' to Talk About by Bonnie Raitt. I love the flirty attitude in this song and I think it would go over well at this stage in the competition. The Story by Brandi Carlile. This is not a very well known song, but Brandi Carlile is a very folksy singer with a very rocker voice. It's a beautiful song and I'd love to introduce America to it.

So, there you have it...Remember you can't choose the same songs as anybody else...so you should get your selections in sooner rather than later. Please post your picks in the comments section below this blog (the bottom of this particular blog...NOT the bottom of the page). If you can't figure out how to comment, please let me know and I'll walk you through it.

50 easy points could soon be yours!

18 comments:

  1. Audition – Why Does it Hurt so Bad by Whitney Houston. I love Whitney’s music and although I don’t have an amazing voice like her and trust me I wouldn’t even on fantasy idol the song isn’t that complicated and it sounds good a capella.

    Top 36 – Listen by Beyonce. Although in fantasy land I’m not as good as Whitney I’m better than Beyonce. I think this is a powerful song that speaks about being you and following your dreams and not the dreams of others. I figure an emotional song about following my dreams would make people remember me.

    Michael Jackson Week – Rock With You. I have already sang and might I say killed two ballads so I thought it was time to break out some dance moves-Amanda Style-just trying to give the judges what they want.

    Grand Ole Opry Week – Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood. Since I had such great results with my upbeat performance I figured that one more week would be good. I get to be Sassy and I’ll mix it up a little to show off my vocal talent. I LOVE YOU TOO SIMON!!!!

    Motown Week - Baby Love by The Supremes
    This is still upbeat but has a soft sound to it. I can show off the soul of my voice without all the runs.

    Top Downloads Week - Sober by Pink
    It's time for the rock side. Now it's time to show the judges how diverse i am with my vocal stylings...Right Dawg Yo Dawg Randy

    Song From The Year You Were Born - Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar
    Since Paula just loved my rock side last week, I decided to hold on to that. Plus since I wasnt in the bottom 3 with a rock song last week I figured maybe that is the style people are feeling. Plus this is a fun song.

    Idols @ the Movies - Kissing You by Des'ree
    This is a not common song and even though Kara (I couldn't leave her out, don't worry I'm done name dropping)thought she saw me more of a rocker chic, I felt I should go back to my roots and Freshman Year! Nicole and I must have watched this remake of Romeo and Juliet 1000 times. This was such a sweet song that played when they first saw each other. How cute - I couldn't help but pick this song.

    Disco Week - Last Dance by Donna Summer
    I would sing this song because it's a lot fun and fun to dance too. Im wearing something really flashy so I will be remembered. VOTE FOR ME AMERICA

    Rat Pack Standards Week - Strangers In The Night by Frank Sinatra
    I had to pick this song. It's just a classic.

    Rock Week - Tainted Love by Soft Cell.
    This is a great rock song and I'm ready to rock out!!!

    Top 3 - Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar
    This is a fun classic and I would jam out and do the Carlton from Fresh Prince.

    Top 2 - Another Day in Paradise by Phil Collins
    I love this song and Phil Collins. I've never heard anyone else sing this song on AI
    On Bended Knee by Boys II Men
    This song has a great talking part and I wanna be all dramatic while I'm saying it.
    (Sorry for my last couple song choices. My head is starting to hurt so I'm just coming up with stuff.... Nicole said we would get points for just doing this, so here you go.)
    Shoop by Salt & Pepa
    Cause it's about time someone raps


    Hey Runner UP isn't that Bad!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think this is an easy 50 points, but it is 50 points so here we go

    Audition Week - Amazing Grace: I love this song. It really shows off your vocal ability. This is a big week, where America gets to see the type of person you are. I want America to know that I love Jesus! Ain't I spiritual?!?

    Top 36 - Bubbly by Colbie Calait. It's a sweet song that everyone likes right now. Bonus votes just because the song is popular. I'll take em!

    Michael Jackson week - The Way You Make Me Feel. It's fast, it's fun and I like it! The crowd will love, love, love it!

    Grand Ole Opry week - In My Daughter's Eyes by Martina McBride. It's so precious and pure. Plus, I have always wanted a daughter and this is my tribute to "what is to be".

    Motown week - Grapevine by Marvin Gaye. It's just fun and well known.

    Itunes week - Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. I love the message of this song. We are all beautiful and women, especially, need to be reminded of that. It is also a powerful song vocally.

    Year You Were Born (1972) - Your Mama Don't Dance by Loggins and Messina. It's just fun and you can get some attitude going with it. Crown pleaser!

    Movie week - Against All Odds by Phil Collins. I think this song is beautiful and so full of emotion. America will dig that.

    Disco week - I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. You can't go wrong with this one. It's a "We are women hear us roar" type of song.

    Rat Pack week - Mambo, Italiano by Dean Martin. It's fun!!!!! That's it.

    Classic Rock week - Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers. It's just so full of soul. I can feel it in my soul, sista!

    Top 3 - Love Song by Sara Barielles. I just like it!

    Finals - 1. Reasons To Love You by Meiko. I love the mellowness of the song. It's how I feel in life...mellow. 2. Yesterday by the Beatles sung in Envogue fashion. I love this song and love the soulful way Envogue performs it. 3. Last Name by Carrie Underwood. I want to go out with a bang! People don't forget this song! I know you are rolling your eyes Macole!

    Well, that's it. I hope I get a record deal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda...I don't really see the Carlton dance meshing well with Love is a Battlefield...but whatevs. It' your fantasy!

    Aunt Sharon, I'm not rolling my eyes at Carrie Underwood...I LOVE Carrie Underwood. And I jam out to that song every time it comes up on my iPod. HOWEVER, you can't sing The Way You Make Me Feel on Michael Jackson week because everyone's favorite Lil Rounds sang it....Better make another pick!

    Also, I don't know why everyone thinks this is such a difficult activity...I already had all of my songs in my head when I did it. It took me about 10 minutes to come up with my complete list. You guys are making it too hard, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, and Amanda...little David Archuleta sang Another Day in Paradise last season...FYI. He gasped through the entire song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oopsy!! How could I forget that fantastic rendition of MJ's song (BOTCHED IT). I would have rocked it!! Ok then, Smooth Criminal by MJ. Can I just say, he is such a great performer! Why does he have to be so "quirky"??? Such awsome videos! I mostly chose this song because it makes me think of Brookie. She sang it at Evangel once when I went to see her, and she's just so gosh darn cute! So, this one's for you Cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Simon, it's not a great vocal song. It's just so much fun. Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie? La, la, la! Sawry! Love me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Audition Blue Bayou-Linda Ronstadt. I love this song and it shows great vocal range. Since it's fantasy idol I sing it way better than Linda ever hoped to sing it.

    Top 36 The Way I Wanna Touch You-Captain & Tennile Because I don't believe anyone in the history of idol has ever done a Captain and Tennile song so it would be way orginal. I could dedicate it to my hubby

    M. Jackson- I'll Be There Everybody loves this early Jackson tune and it shows my great vocal range and abilities.

    Grand Ole Opry Stand By Your Man-Tammy Wynette. This is of my parents era and I remember hearing it alot!!! It's a great heart wrenching ballad and I could captivate the audience with the emotion I pour into this song

    Motown-You Can't Hurry Love-Supremes Another great classic and I would get the chance to change things up with this up tempo number.

    Top Downloads-Before He Cheats-Carrie Underwood This is a very catchy tune, it sticks in your head after you hear it, so the judges and the voting audience would just keep hearing it in their heads and vote for me. It's a fun song

    Year you were born. LaBamba-Ritchie Valens- I could sing in spanish, do some amazing tongue rolls and play a mean guitar. Again showing off my amazing versatility.

    Idol at the Movies-California Dreamer-Mama's and Papa's. I would slow it down this week with a nice ballad. It would be an amazing switch up after the LaBamba the week before.

    Disco Hot Stuff-Donna Summers Well this goes with out saying Disco and Donna Summers, duh. Plus I could really strut my hott stuffff!!!

    Rat Pack Standards Mac The Knife-Bobby Darin I wanted someone to do this song because I love this song. I think it's a song everyone knows so I would win the audience over. Again remembering that I am the greatest singer that ever lived.

    Rock & Roll classics The Trooper-Iron Maiden. This is a special request by your brother and I would be able to get my screamo on.

    Top 3 Cats In the Cradle-Ugly Kid Joe This is a great ballad, well known and a great turn around after my screamo week.

    Top 2 American Pie-Don McClean, You Raise Me Up-Josh Grobin, Were The Kids in America. These are 3 very different song styles and once it again it would show case my versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't sing "You Can't Hurry Love" Scott MacIntyre sang that for Motown Week. You can't sing "Before He Cheats" because Amanda is already singing that. You can't sing "Hot Stuff" because Allison Iraheta sang that for Disco Week and she tore it up!!! That is the reason why you should have gotten your picks in last night...I'm just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok looks like Amanda got song choice before I did. I can't sing before he cheats, darn that's a really fun song. I'm going to sing another song about cheating. Lips of an Angel-Hinder. Like the song just not the idea behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok so I messed up again can't sing Lips of An angel. Wanted to sing Last Dance but someone else picked it. Here's my Motown pick Stop in the Name of Love by the Supremes. It's another great, memorable song.More hot songs later from me. Bet you all can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, you didn't mess up...I did. You can sing Before He Cheats for Top Downloads week because Amanda is singing it for Grand Ole Opry Week....SORRY! You still need to come up with a Disco song, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, you didn't mess up...I did. You can sing Before He Cheats for Top Downloads Week because Amanda is singing it for Grand Ole Opry Week. That's allowed. SORRY! You still need to pick a disco song, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Audition – Mary Had A Little Lamb. I’m sure someone has auditioned with this song in the past, but come on, I can’t sing & would hope someone would tell me that before I tried to audition.

    Top 36 – Love Story – Taylor Swift, I would be able to showcase my vocal talents by singing the song like my soon-to-be flower girl: “I’ll be the prince & you’ll be the prince & I’ll be the prince & you’ll be the prince, baby just say yes.”—does it get any cuter than that?!

    M. Jackson- We Are the World because it seems like someone always sings a really cheesy song each week, so I claim the “Cheesiest Song” award this week.

    Grand Ole Opry – Whiskey Lullaby. I enjoy some Alison Krauss..?

    Motown- Ain’t Too Proud to Beg – The Temptations. If I magically were still on AI by this point, I wouldn’t be too proud to beg for anyone’s vote.

    Top Downloads- Wakin’ up in Vegas – Katy Perry…I’ll admit, when I’m listenin’ to this song in the car, I tend to belt this out…and part of me wishes that I’d wake up in Vegas & be married.

    Year you were born- Ghostbusters – Ray Parker, Jr. Who knew that came out in 1984? This song would showcase my lower vocal range very nicely.

    Idol at the Movies- Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio…need I say more? Since no one ever RAPS on AI, I will help them branch out into other genres.

    Disco- The Hustle – Van McCoy- Who needs to be able to sing when all you have to do is “do the hustle!” This song would allow me to showcase my amazing dance abilities…I’m the whole package, if I do say so myself!

    Rat Pack Standards- Mr. Bojangles – It would be a tribute to our Office Fish who has gone on to be with the Lord.

    Rock & Roll classics – Like A Prayer – Madonna- I would use the techno version of this song because it’s a lot more upbeat.

    Top 3.- Wheel in the Sky – Journey- It’s another one of my favorites to belt out…and it seems to me that Journey often gets over looked on AI.

    Top 2 -Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison– I don’t know about you, but I think I’d be destine to win by belting out this great Bret Michael’s ballad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anybody got any problem with me singing a little KC and The Sunshine Band Get Down Tonight for Disco week? It's a fun song and I think it would get toes tapped and fingers dialin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey why is Allie just picking one song for top 2? She isn't going to win only singing one song when the rest of us are singing three.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I have to change my Motown pick & add a top 2 song:

    Motown week: I'll Make Love to You by Boyz II Men. Although the band wasn't part of the original Motown movement, they still deserve credit as Motown Artists...and my version of the song will be an amazing tribute to them. (ha.)

    2nd Top 2 song: I definetly end the top 2 show singing Every Rose, but since I have to sing 2 songs that night, I will also pick Hero by Mariah Carey. This will help to show off my vocal range & prove that I'm a very well rounded singer...Hahhaahha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay fine, I'll sing 3 songs for Top 2 week like everyone else...ugh.

    Add Step In The Name of Love by R. Kelly to my song list...the song will most likely cause the show to run over since it's like a 10 min song, but come on, who doesn't want to step in the name of love?!?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actullay The Carlton would work perfect with Love is a Battlefield. Remind me next time I see you and I will prove it.

    ReplyDelete