Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Season 8: Rock Week...Another One Bites the Dust

Every season American Idol pretends to be cool for a week as they adopt a "rock" theme. We all as viewers of this wonderful show, know that American Idol is neither cool nor rock. But sometimes it's fun to pretend. I'm intrigued that Slash agreed to mentor on the show. It seems like Idol really isn't his thing.

Adam - Whole Lotta Love. I wonder if Adam has extra muscles in his neck from all of that pageant head flicking he does. I contend that if Adam was a girl, he would have been criticized for all of his pageant antics, but since he's a boy, he gets a free pass. I think Adam sounded good, relatively speaking. I still can't stand the sound of his voice, but I can appreciate that he has an expansive vocal range. This performance was still very theatrical, but I think I'm just going to have to get over that peeve because America seems to love their drama queens. Rating: 8


Allison - Cry Baby. I think Allison sounded really good with this song. The verses were a little boring for me, but she made up for that with the chorus. Allison is so earnest in her approach to a song. I always feel like she's putting everything she has into her performances. And I love watching her belt out those huge notes. Rating: 8


I am so sick of Allison being raked over the coals by the judges every week. They never criticize her singing...it's always her song choice or her outfits or her personality. It is so unfair that she can't be appreciated for her voice. And, you know what? I cheered when Allison stuck up for herself with the judges....somebody needed to say something to them. And if a 17 year old needs to bring them down, then so be it.


Pretty Cheesy Duet (This is a band name I made up for Kris & Danny)...you can guess which one is pretty and which one is cheesy. Renegade by Stix is one of my favorite songs ever. I have to commend Kris for taking on the rock theme and actually dressing the part. Danny, on the other hand, looked decidedly "unrock" with his red oxford shirt and the necklace he borrowed from either Paula Abdul or Mr. T. Sometimes I think he's the long lost third brother from the Night at the Roxbury sketches...but I digress. I think this performance could have been better. Kris's voice cracked a little...and no matter what the judges say, Danny was the one who messed up the harmonies...I'll go back and watch it again to prove myself right. That last harmony where Kris was singing the main part and Danny was singing higher...that was the worst part of the entire song because Danny was way off.


Kris - Come Together. I thought Kris would pick something by Boston or Bruce Springsteen. But I guess you can never go wrong with the Beatles..except for when the Idol people decided to do two consecutive weeks of Beatles songs last year. Woops! As Kris was singing I wrote, "He sounds good, but the judges aren't going to like it...karaoke." Personally, I think that Kris's voice isn't the quintessential "Rock" voice, and so anything he would have chosen tonight would have sounded original. I especially enjoyed the breakdown Kris did with the third verse of the song. I thought it sounded great. This week proved that Kris can hold his own in any genre. And while Kris may not have the biggest voice in the competition, he definitely does not have the weakest voice. And the judges should give him more credit for that. Rating: 8


Man, those judges were brutal to Kris! Kris looked pretty aggravated while they were critiquing him, and rightfully so. I wish for once that a judge would give some constructive criticism to a contestant, rather than pandering to them or making fun of them...oh yeah, or giggling with each other. They're gunning big time for Kris to go home this week. First, they put him in a duet with Gokey and then told Gokey he sounded better. And then they completely tore him apart on what I thought was an exceptionally entertaining performance. It's not fair!


D. Goke - Dream On. This song got Michael Johns booted from the show last season, so let's hope it's an omen. Everything about this performance was unnatural and forced. Danny took the stage looking like a deer in the headlights. I have never seen someone open his eyes so wide as he sang. And, excuse me, but was he really skatting in the middle of that song? I'm sorry, Goke, but Steven Tyler, you are not. And will someone please tell the kid that his rocker scream sounds like a car accident? I have to admit, I literally laughed out loud as Danny "sang" his last note. It was pathetic! After this week, Danny could give Lil Rounds a run for her money in the "they think they're better than they really are" department. Rating: 5


Glamitude (the name I made up for the Adam & Allison combo). Slow Ride by Foghat. A funny little story about Foghat. For the early part of my childhood, and really, until I was a young adult, I thought the band was called Zogbat due to an illegible font on the cover of a CD of theirs my dad had. I think Adam and Allison sounded good...they were much more natural than the other pairing. Adam and Allison did equally well on this performance. In fact, Allison had to hit higher notes for her typical range, so I would contend that she even outsang Lambert on this duet.


But not according to the judges! I could not believe when Simon told Adam he probably kept Allison in the competition by singing with her. That was the most incredibly rude, demeaning, and ludicrous thing he could have said at that moment. I really think the judges would have had the same response if Allison had just stood up there on the stage next to Adam and step-touched without even singing. I am officially incensed....and me and Simon, we are SO over! And then Adam, who is usually so poised and professional, had the audacity to say, "Yes, I hope I did save her!" Are you kidding me? Who does he think he is? Allison held her own up there, and I'm sick of them treating her like she is second-rate to everyone else on the show.


ARGHHHHH I am working on some deep breathing to try to calm myself down.


We're going to do the bonus questions a little differently this week. You will get extra points based on how soon you turn in your answers to the questions. The points will be distributed as follows:


1st person to hand in their answers gets 20 extra points.

2nd person - 15 points

3rd person - 10 points

4th person - 5 points


Bonus Questions:

1. Which of the judges and contestants wore sparkly or metal studded clothing?

2. Email me a COLOR photo of Slash with the following characteristics:

-no glasses, no hat, not wearing black, and no guitar in the picture.

3. For each of the songs performed tonight, tell me the year it was originally released and the original artist.

Currently Listening To: Another One Bites the Dust (Hopefully Gokey) by Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment