Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Season 8: Songs From the Year You Were Born..I Love Rock & Roll

YEAH!, The show is only an hour long tonight…that means I can catch the second half of The Biggest Loser...and eat a bowl of ice cream.

I am so glad they didn’t do the annoying judges announcement thing.

Danny Gokey – Stand by Me. Cute opening package with the family. Danny had some blatant bad notes in the beginning....I mean the kind of bad notes that reach out of the TV screen and slap you in the face. Did he always have that weird goatee? At the beginning, I thought the Gokinator might have finally brought a low-key mellow performance…but no, of course he had to go into the big, belting out, chest bumping thing...why would he ever give us something else? I liked this performance about as much as I like any of his other performances…same old, same old. Man, he makes a lot of stink faces when he’s singing. Rating: 7

Kris – All She Wants to do is Dance. I liked the swagger Kris used on this song. That’s something we haven’t seen from him before. This was a cool arrangement of the song. The mosh pit looked seriously disengaged, but I thought it was a solid performance from Kris. He rarely misses notes, and he always does something original with these songs. Rating: 8

These judges are whack!

Lil – What’s Love Got to do With It. Well, her makeup looks great….She sounds terrible in the first verse, though. Lil just doesn’t have it. She’s like a less-talented version of Syesha from last year. She doesn’t have the big voice to sing the songs she keeps trying. Sounded a “Lil” better towards the end of the song, but then the ending note was crap. Lil has lost me. But hey, at least she looked good. Rating: 5

Randy is serious about the Simon butt-kissing tonight…every sentence starts with, “Yo, dawg, Simon is right”

Anoop – True Colors. What a cute kid. Anoop knows he can win America back with a heartfelt ballad, but I don’t know…he has to figure out something else that works for him than sappy ballads. He sang this song beautifully. The arrangement was straightforward…the background singers actually sounded good. He did the traditional “get up from the stool and seem more emotional for the second verse”. A little nasally in the middle. I really like Anoop…but I think he’d be a better buddy than recording artist. That’s too bad. He’s just missing something. He’s either singing a boring ballad, or seeming like an imitation of some r&b singer. Rating: 7, but I don’t know how much longer he’ll last.

Scott – The Search is Over. Is this a show tune? Since when did Scott play the guitar? Check him out! Props to Scott for being a two-instrument contestant, along with Kris. His singing was still atrocious. But I’m proud of him for leaving the piano. Scott just can’t hit the notes he needs to hit. Man, I don’t understand how he made it this far in the competition. Rating: 5

Kara wouldn’t have picked a power ballad for Scott? She thinks he’s more of a singer-songwriter? Every week, they tell the contestants to step outside of their comfort zones….they bash it into their heads, and then Kara (and Simon, by the way) told Scott to stick with what he knows…

Allison – I Can’t Make You Love Me. Hooray for Allison singing a ballad! Her voice sounded like a good barbecque sauce...really sweet and smoky with this song. This was a perfect song choice, but I know all the words to this song, and they were still difficult to understand. That is my pet peeve with Allison. Very nice run at the end of the song. Allison is one of the most talented contestants of the season, and one of the most underrated contestants in American Idol history! Rating: 8

FINALLY! Randy gave her some credit by comparing her to Kelly Clarkson (don’t know why he couldn’t bring himself to utter Kelly’s name…but I’ll take what I can get).

Matt – Part-Time Lover. Cute little clip of the play..that was adorable. There’s come confidence! I think Matt looks and sounds great tonight. It seems like he always has an incredible performance after he bombs the week before. A little bit of breathing trouble, but I think this is where Matt really shines…and, he sounded better than Stevie Wonder himself did a couple weeks ago. For the first time this season, Matt displayed some charisma and sex appeal. Rating: 9

Too bad all the judging was so rushed. He didn't get the praise he deserved...then again, he's not one of the pre-ordained winners, so I guess it's okay.

I actually forgot about Adam! I thought Matt was the last performance of the night…that sucks!

Adam –“Mad World”…I was really hoping someone would sing Tears for Fears tonight, I was just hoping it would be one of the 1985 people, because that was when all of their well-known songs came out. The opening shot of him on the stool was weird…it looked like he was sitting on a toilet or something, and like his legs were a mile long and he had a mini-torso. The vocal was really exceptionally good. He has a dramatic breathing issue; he takes huge, loud breaths in between all of his phrases...that bothers me a little (Archuleta was Public Enemy No.1 last year for his loud breathing). He sounds like an asthmatic. Props for the “stand up for the second verse” thing…That ending note was really high…wow. This was my favorite of Adam’s performances so far; I liked the subtlety and the reservedness of it all . Rating: 9
I guess Adam did my birth year justice after all...way to go!

Ugh…Kellie Pickler is on tomorrow night's show...it's moments like these that make me wish I had a DVR.

Bonus Question: See how well you listened to the show tonight....I have listed below a number of quotes that occurred throughout the course of tonight's episode. Your job is to look at each quote, and tell me who said it, and to whom they were speaking. Two points for each correct answer.
So if the quote is, "You are ridiculous. I want to squish you, squeeze your head
off and hang you from my rearview mirror."...and you guessed that Paula
said this to David Archuleta, you would get 4 points...2 for Paula, and
2 for Archuleta. Oh yeah, and there are a few fake quotes I added in to the mix.
If you can identify the phonies, they're worth 4 points each.

“Two words, Standing O”
“Indulgent”
"That's something you don't see every day."
“We can be horrible to you, and you can be horrible back”
"You've gotta lighten up a little bit"
"Chord substitutions"
“That’s a gift that you can’t put a price tag on.”
"Simon's right"
“You’ve gotta take a song no one else has done before, and make it an original version”
"This one's on fire tonight!"
“Melodically same-notes song”
"That was just okay for me, for you."
"All right, hottie"
“A million times better than last week”
"You blew it out the box."
"If you’re not able to take the reins, and Rickey Minor and the b-band…”
"You are a crazy talented singer."
"Your precision is amazing."
"The beginning was good, the middle was lazy, and the ending was terrific…and that adds up to great."
"You have a wonderful sense of humor, you really do, it’s infectious.”
“Where it sat in your voice was truly magical”
"“There were so many songs you could have chosen. This was you, trying to be somebody else.”

So, be sure to get your answers to me before the show starts tomorrow, along with your picks for the bottom 3, who will be going home, and if the judges will employ their All-Powerful save.


Currently Listening To: I Love Rock & Roll by Joan Jett and the Heartbreakers


No comments:

Post a Comment