Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Season 9: Top 24!

Here is a list of the Top 24 for American Idol Season 9! Click HERE if you need a refresher of what predictions you're supposed to make from this list. I apologize for not adding photos to this blog post. My site is disagreeing with my computer tonight.


1. Todrick Hall - He wrote a memorable audition song for the judges, and continued to impress throughout Hollywood week. He played in The Color Purple alongside Fantasia.

2. Michael Lynche - "Big Mike", as they call him, made a lasting impression on America for being 1. huge, and 2. absent from the birth of his first child. I'm not a fan. Obviously.

3. Didi Benami - Her fragility and tenderness, paired with her ethereal looks are reminiscent of Brooke White from American Idol Season 7. But Didi's voice is more polished and, I think, prettier. I have an inkling that if Didi keeps doing what she's been doing, she'll stick around for a long time.

4. Katelyn Epperly - I don't remember much about her, except that her hair is almost as big as mine. Ellen gave her a hard time in telling her that she was through to the Top 24. I can't remember what she sounds like, though...that could be a problem.

5. Casey James - Kara objectified him in his audition by requesting that he remove his shirt and let his hair down (wonder what would have happened if a male judge had made this request of a female auditioner....hmmmmmm?). This audition led me to believe that Casey was just an average singer who made it through based on his looks. But after seeing Casey's performance during Hollywood Week, I actually think he's a very talented musician. He's got a bluesy quality about him, and he did a pretty fantastic rendition of Colbie Calliat's "Bubbly" on Tuesday night's episode.

6. Aaron Kelly - Sixteen-year-old Aaron brings the Archuleta factor this season. I think he has a pretty voice, but he may lack the star power to stick around. He's not quite as unassuming and cuddly as David Archuleta. We'll see though; he's a very talented singer.

7. Lee Dewyze - Lee hasn't been given much camera time up to this point, which may be detrimental to his future on the show. However, his husky vocals and guitar playing may be enough to save him. It's been done before.

8. Janelle Wheeler - Janelle has a pretty face and a pretty voice, but she might fall into the forgettable category. Simon didn't initially want to pass her through the audition round.


9. Tyler Grady - Tyler was a drummer who was injured in an accident in the past. He has a 70s style. Unfortunately, all of that stuff outshines his voice because I can't remember what he sounds like at all.


10. Lacey Brown - The pixie-haired singer has a soft, soothing voice with a little bit of a jazz quality to it. I think she's really talented, and I hope she makes it far.


11. Alex Lambert - I always think that this guy looks like the brother from Hannah Montana (no, I do not have children, and yes, I do know who the characters on Hannah Montana...I'm sad about it.).


12. Joe Munoz - I'm not sure that we've heard Joe sing at all in the competition. Don't be too quick to write him off, though. Former contestants like Jason Castro and Kris Allen were barely showcased until the Top 24!


13. Ashley Rodriguez - Ashley's another one who hasn't had a lot of screen time. I do remember her doing a mediocre version of Jordin Sparks' Battlefield at some point during Hollywood Week, though.


14. Crystal Bowersox - Crystal is the antithesis of what a female American Idol contestant should be. And that's one of the reasons why I love her, and her dreadlocks and piercings! Well, that and her amazing vocals! I think Crystal is my favorite out of the Top 24.


15. Katie Stevens- Her grandmother suffers from Alzheimer's Disease and Katie wanted to be a contestant on the show to make her grandma happy while she could still remember. Katie seems like a sweet girl, but I'm afraid that her lack of vocals and experience will send her to an early exit from Season 9. I'm afraid Katie won't make the Top 12.


16. Lilly Scott - Her memorable whitish-blonde hair and cauliflower-sized earrings are definitely a statement. I'm not sure what statement exactly, but I suppose they help her to stand out among the crowd. I really like her voice; I think she'll stick around in the competition for awhile.


17. Paige Miles - I don't recall ever having seen Paige on the screen before the moment when they told her she was part of the Top 24.


18. Siobhan Magnus - She wins the award for the coolest name, at least. I'm not sure about these 1940s nightgown frocks she keeps wearing, along with her cut-off denim jacket (?) I do like her voice, though.


19. Michelle Delamor - I thought she was the same person as Michelle Rodriguez. Their hair is different, though, I guess.


20. Jermaine Sellers - Jermaine first auditioned in Atlanta and I was blown away by his amazing vocal ability. However, since then Jermaine has consistently oversung on every performance they've shown. I'm not sure I'll be able to tolerate much of him this season.


21. John Park - I remember loving John Park's voice from his audition, but then he sort of fell off the radar throughout Hollywood Week. I think he'll be a clear contender for the Top 12, though. He has the clean cut look and the voice to make that happen.


22. Haley Vaughn - The sixteen-year-old soul, country singer has the potential to be great, but I'm afraid she's simply too young for this season. She's a talented musician, but she needs a little fine tuning (pun most definitely intended). Her voice cracks all the time and she hits a lot of bum notes. I fear the Sanjaya factor may soon haunt her. And that's sad because she's just so darn cute!


23. Andrew Garcia - If anyone is going to give Crystal Bowersox a run for her money in the quest for my devotion this season, it will be Andrew. His version of "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul had me singing that song for days afterwards, much to my chagrin, of course. I really enjoy hearing him take a new spin on a song. I think he's one of the most talented musicians to ever grace the American Idol stage.


More importantly, why did Thaddeus Johnson's mother accompany him into the men's room of the hotel?!


24. Tim Urban - The clip of him on the show tonight was so short that I missed it! I have no idea who this guy is...I guess we'll find out next week!


The low point of the evening was certainly the dismissal of Angela Martin. Angela has been showcased prominently over the previous two seasons, more for her backstory of hardship and struggle than her singing voice (which is sad, since she actually has a really nice voice). Once again, Angela was featured several times in Season 9, only to be let go, once again, and then patronized by the Kara DioGuardi Counseling Hour followed by a complimentary Ryan Seacrest Pep Talk. That was a little ridiculous.


So what do you think of the Top 24? Who made it, but shouldn't have? Who should have made it, but didn't? How's Ellen doing so far? I read an interesting statement from an Entertainment Weekly writer who said that Ellen is being pegged more to take over Simon's role than to take over Paula Abdul's roll...I can see that, and I agree! She's not cranky and British to be sure, but she's also does not blather on nonsensically and slur her words. :) That's right! I said it!


Don't forget to make your predictions before the show airs next Tuesday! And please email them to me at nicole_rena06@yahoo.com.


Feel free to comment on this post, though. Share your thoughts....please!

No comments:

Post a Comment