Tuesday, January 13, 2009

American Idol Season 8...Here I Go Again

Hello my fellow American Idol fans...

Season 8 premieres tonight, and I just wanted to get a head start on the whole blogging thing this year. I did this for the first time last season, with moderate success...and hopefully this season, with a dedicated blog specifically for all things American Idol, I'll be able to keep everyone up to date with Idol news, predictions, and recaps. I think last season we even did a couple of contests (with prizes!).

Here is how this will (tentatively) work:
I will at least post a recap for every week's Tuesday night episode of American Idol. In addition to these, I may occasionally post a blog including some commentary or predictions, news or contests.

You can participate as much or as little as you want to...You have the option of subscribing to my blog (an email will be sent to you each time a new entry is posted), or you can just check back when you feel like it.

You can also feel free to leave comments on any postings I make. You DO NOT need to have a blogger account to make comments on my blog. If you have questions about how to do this, feel free to ask me and I'll run you through it.

Season 8
So before Season 8 even begins, I have to tell you about some of the changes being made in efforts to enhance the show.

1. A Fourth Judge: Kara DioGuardi has joined the ranks as a 4th judge on American Idol this season. Personally, I think we could have done away with Paula (probably Randy, too, to be honest)...as Simon's opinion is usually the only one that's valuable..or makes sense, for that matter. Apparently, though, Ms. DioGuardi is like a female version of Simon, so I'll probably like her...we shall see.

2. Auditions: Producers have promised less of the freakish and stupid auditions (i.e. William Hung and people dressed up like the Statue of Liberty). Many people will not like this, as they live to see vulnerable people's dreams crushed on National Television....I for one, am excited about this change. I hate the audition rounds.

3. Hollywood Weeks (plural): Producers have also promised more coverage on the famous Hollywood week. We will get to know the contestants more than ever before during this coverage (which, I believe will last for 3 weeks this season). They are also bringing back the dreaded group performances, guaranteed to ensure a good deal of cat fights and high school drama.

4. No more top 24: The official American Idol season will begin with a Top 36, rather than a Top 24 as in previous seasons. This will eliminate the 50/50 split between males and females for the Top 12. I have been complaining about this since the beginning of season 3. I'm glad to see this change, and hopefully it will prove more fair. I think that the top 36 contestants will be split into 3 different groups, each of which will perform on one episode beginning some time in February. I think America will then narrow it down to a Top 12 based on these performances.

5. Wild Card: The Wild card vote is back. Judges will bring back 3 previously eliminated contestants from the original Top 36, for a second chance at the Top 12. I'm not exactly sure on all of the details of this change just yet, but hopefully more info. will come soon.

So, what do you think about the changes? Are you going to be tuning in to the Season Premiere tonight?

Currently Listening to: Here I Go Again by Whitesnake

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this again. I probably haven't told you this, but your a GREAT writer, so I always enjoy reading your opinions, even when I don't agree with them!

    You are listening to Whitesnake now? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can't imagine a female version of Simon, I am excited to see what she has to say. I am thrilled w/ the idea of a second chance, I am disappointed that we will not get to see the freaks. I know it's somewhat cruel, as most of them are mentally unstable, but I do so enjoy a good freak show. I am so excited to see how it goes tonight! Great blog Nicole. Looking forward to reading more.
    -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's try this again. I thought I posted yesterday but Nicole says it didn't take. I personally feel American Idol is a big, fat, joke!(-: One of the best singers in the nation (I don't want to mention Brooke's name or anything)auditioned twice and did not make the cut. Now here is a young lady who has everything it takes to make it in the music biz. She has a phenomenal voice (second to none) incredible vocal range and control, a beautiful face and figure (she would be a breeze to market) and they turn her away? I fully understand the whole entertainment factor with using the outrageously, non-talented people. I know it makes for great television, but it is very difficult to watch a valid contestant be turned away and a freak make it in her place. Besides the fact, the whole audition process left a bad taste in my mouth. Not so much the local audition which took place in Springfield, Illinois but the one in Memphis was horrible. They treated the folks waiting in line with no respect and herded us as if we were cattle through the line. I am done with American Idol. When you start a blog for "Biggest Loser" or "Celebrity Rehab" or "Top Chef" or "Project Runway" I am there.

    signed

    Brooke's biggest fan
    (her mom)

    P.S.--But all the things I said about her are true. If she sucked I would be the first one to re-direct her, but she doesn't suck. Just ask Nicole. Bye.

    ReplyDelete