Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Season 8: Audition Rounds Episode 3...killing me softly (and not in the good way)

I'm getting weary of these audition episodes. I don't know about you, but I found Tuesday night's episode incredibly boring and unbelievably disappointing. The ones who made it were mediocre at best...and the ones who didn't make it were just annoying. Here's a recap of the contestants who made it through to Hollywood.

Tatiana Del Toro - Give me a break! If she didn't make it based on her voice (like Simon said), I don't know how she did it -- her personality was annoying, her fashion was terrible, and that "laugh"? Nails on a chalkboard....it must have been the train wreck factor. Here's this season's Sanjaya...let's just hope this one doesn't stick around so long.


Jesus Valenzuela - I know he brought his kids in, and it was supposed to be heartwarming...but I think this guy learned to sing from listening to some Backstreet Boys album on repeat. I couldn't believe he made it through.

In the middle of the show, for some unknown reason, the producers decided to do a quick montage of 3 contestants who made it through. The fact that they grouped them all together tells me something: these contestants must either be boring or sub par. I honestly don't expect that we'll hear from these people much in Hollywood Week.

John Twiford - Here's a link of him singing with a group called B.O.L.T. You'll have to pardon the video. It's a little cheesy and very annoying...John is the third person to start singing. CLICK HERE. I think his voice is pretty good...but I don't know that there's anything really stand-out about him or his singing.

Allison Iraheta - Allison apparently won an American Idol-like contest on Telemundo. I'm not really sure exactly how she won because, frankly, she's not great. She's cute, and she could win, like a high school talent show, but her voice isn't good enough for Idol. The talent pool in San Francisco must have been pretty sparse. CLICK HERE. to see Allison's performance of Total Eclipse of the Heart on Telemundo. She's got one thing going for her at least, she looks just like Rosie Perez.



Raquel Houghton - Almost as undeserving as miss cheetah print dress (mentioned above), was Raquel Houghton. Oh, and speaking of Cheetah, apparently Ms. Houghton was the lead singer for a Cheetah girls-esque, faux inspirational "believe in your dreams" group called The Valli Girls (are you serious?!) The picture on their myspace page looks like a Spice Girls rebirth for the new generation....not that we ever needed it. CLICK HERE. I'm generally unimpressed with her voice. She sings too low for her register and I don't think she'll make it far.
Maybe I'm just extra grouchy this week, but it seems like the judges were a little liberal with the golden tickets...Anybody else think so?
And now we come to the two bright spots of the evening ("Bright," however, is a relative term...it's like asking for white and ending up with ecru).


Adam Lambert - I really liked Adam's voice...but I was surprised he didn't attempt a pantomime to go along with his Bohemian Rhapsody. Does he need to be so dang dramatic?! I think Adam has potential. His voice is great, but it's almost canceled out by the theatrics. If he can tone it down a little, maybe he'll survive Hollywood Week.

Kai Kalama - I think this guy is handsome, and there's no doubt that he has a very good voice. But unless he changes his style dramatically, he's going to end up with the same fan base as Taylor Hicks, and we all know how successful he's been as the winner of American Idol. His song choice was bad...he should have chosen something a little edgier, that would have made him stand out.
Tune in tonight for the Louisville auditions at Churchill Downs. Here's to hoping everyone sings from the right rectum this time....what was the deal with that lady?


Currently Listening To: Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack




1 comment: