Friday, January 30, 2009

Season 8: Audition Rounds Episode 7...I can't make you love me

Season 8: Audition Rounds Episode 7

Our final audition episode took place in New York City and beautiful San Juan, Puerto Rico. I've been to San Juan. It is --without a doubt-- the most beautiful and exotic place I've ever been to. Everyone should go if they get the chance. The food is amazing. The scenery is breathtaking. The people are wonderful. And I never saw such a brilliant color of blue as the water in P.R.

Here's the recap for ya:



Jorge Nuñez - I was really impressed with the power behind this guy's voice. I dont' think the show made a big enough deal about him, because he's one of the best vocalists I've heard this season...period. CLICK HERE to watch his audition video.



Melinda Camile - She has some strange ideas--really strange. But her voice is gorgeous. I like her, but all of that stars aligning in the universe stuff has got to go. CLICK HERE to watch her audition video.



Jackie Tohn - She started out singing a weird version of I'm Yours by Jason Mraz....not great. But when she started singing her second song, I realized that she's really great. She has a little bit of scratchiness in her voice that makes it sound different. I like her. She needs to work on the dance moves, though. CLICK HERE for her audition video.



CLICK HERE to see the video for the next three auditions.



Ashley Hollister - She has a sweet voice, but apparently she's not memorable enough for them to feature her, so I'm not guessing she'll make it past Hollywood Week



Kenny Hoffpauer - He seems a little strange. His song choice, again "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, was a little weird. He was trying to sing it like he was in a swing band from the 40s or something....I didn't like it. And I could tell all of that in the 2 second clip they showed.



Kendall Beard - She has a nice, country-ish voice. I have a feeling that we'll see more of her down the line.



Monique Garcia Torres - Another girl who had to rely on a gimmick (this time a cute little brother) to make it through. This was the first time this season (with the exception of bikini girl) that we've actually had a split decision from the judges. It was refreshing. All I can say is, the talent pool was low in Puerto Rico (only 9 people made it), so they must have been really reaching with this one. CLICK HERE to see her audition video.



Patricia Lewis Roman - She has a decent voice, but the judges were right...she shouldn't have tried that Whitney Houston song. When are people going to figure out that the judges don't ever want to hear anyone sing Whitney Houston? I think she's good enough to make it to Hollywood, but not good enough to make it past that round. CLICK HERE to see her audition video.

There weren't too many singers on this episode that really blew me away...in fact, really only one...maybe two if you count Jackie Tohn. I'm just glad the worst part of American Idol is OVER until next January!!

Currently Listening To: I Can't Make You Love me by Bonnie Raitt

No comments:

Post a Comment